Monday, March 3, 2008

Tennis, Oldsmobile and 500 Scooters

Andrew and I woke up to a beautiful sunny morning here in Denver. The sun was out but the air was still cool, my mother had our two older kids for the night so Andrew and I decided to take this opportunity to play tennis together.

After a peaceful breakfast of raw oatmeal and raisins we got ready to leave. Having a dog for two years we didn't have a single tennis ball as they were her favorite to play chase with. Somehow we would lose them, find them, loose them, find them all brown, slimy and furry. When we actually want to use what the balls were designed for we had none to speak of.

Andrew rode his bike about fifteen blocks to City Park to check for balls left in the bushes or outside the courts by previous players who would rather buy more balls then pick up the ones the hit outside the court. As always, he found a bunch of balls that look like they have been used once.

Back home, I was getting myself and the baby ready. I loaded up Josephine into our 1967 Oldsmobile. What a car, a four door Delta 88 custom that looks like it belongs at pier instead of on the road. The size of it's trunk alone is the same size of most vehicles today. How we landed this beast is another story entirely.

I drive off heading to City Park to meet Andrew, eagerly anticipating the first form of aerobic exercise since being pregnant. Waiting at a traffic light, strangely I noticed turning on the same street I was on were about thirty Vespa scooters. They all seemed to know each other because they were laughing and talking with one one another. The light turned green for me and it didn't take me long to catch up to the posse. I follow them for about two blocks until I looked in my review mirror and saw at least sixty more scooters. Where the hell are these scooters coming from?

Turns out I was right in the middle of a scooter parade benefiting the Children's Hospital of Denver. There were hundreds of these sporty scooters that morning and I, driving the biggest car possible on the earth was the core of the parade. When I finally arrived to the courts I greeted Andrew with the tennis rackets, the baby and 500 scooters.

No comments: